London is extremely well served by the tube, buses, taxis, and trains. But why not explore the city on foot? Take the scenic route to find hidden treasures and cut down on transport costs.
Here are five attractions within walking distance of the Castleton Hotel, Paddington to get you started:
1) Hyde Park – Whether it’s concerts in the summer, Winter Wonderland in December, or the sheer natural beauty of the area inbetween, Hyde Park is worth visiting for its historical status as well as a place to escape from city life.
2) Oxford Street – London’s most famous shopping street is still going as strong as ever, and at 1km in length, is a buyer’s paradise. Shop til you drop at stores to suit all budgets.
3) Marylebone High Street – For village life, head north to Marylebone. Boutiques, patisseries, and markets line the street much of which is pedestrianised. A great place to kick back and people-watch
4) Madame Tussauds – The next best thing to being snapped with a celebrity! If you’re here with the kids, why not pick up a Merlin Annual pass, which includes entry to the London Eye and London Aquarium among other sites.
5) Wallace Collection & Sherlock Holmes Museum – The Wallace Collection (entry:free) is perhaps the grandest collection of private art in London, whilst the Sherlock Holmes museum at 221b Baker Street houses famous mementos from the fictional detective.